Root Canal Therapy
Root canal treatment is a treatment sequence for the infected pulp of a tooth during which the infected pulp is removed and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed, which results in the elimination of infection and the protection of the decontaminated tooth from future microbial invasion
Root Canal Therapy near La Porte 77571
Root canal treatment (also known as an endodontic treatment) is a dental procedure that is designed to eliminate bacteria from the infected root canal, prevent reinfection of the tooth and save the natural tooth. When one undergoes a root canal, the inflamed or infected pulp is removed and the inside of the tooth is carefully cleaned and disinfected, then filled and sealed.
When is a root canal needed?
Root canals are needed for a cracked tooth from injury or genetics, a deep cavity, or issues from a previous filling. Patients generally need a root canal when they notice their teeth are sensitive, particularly to hot and cold sensations. There are a few symptoms that mean you might need a root canal—
• Severe pain while chewing or biting
• Pimples on the gums
• A chipped or cracked tooth
• Lingering sensitivity to hot or cold, even after the sensation has been removed
• Swollen or tender gums
• Deep decay or darkening of the gums
• Tooth Discoloration
• Pain when pressure is applied to tooth
• Loose Tooth
How should I prepare for Root Canal Therapy near La Porte 77571?
Before beginning your root canal, your healthcare provider can answer any questions you have about the procedure. Here are a few things you can do to prepare for your root canal treatment:
• Take all medications as prescribed: You may be given antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medications a few days before your appointment, especially if there is a lot of infection present.
• Don’t smoke: Tobacco products interfere with your body’s ability to heal itself. Avoid smoking several days before your root canal appointment — and stop altogether if you’re able.
• Eat a healthy meal: Since the local anesthesia used during root canal therapy will make your mouth numb for a few hours, it’s a good idea to eat before your appointment.
Before starting your root canal, your healthcare provider will take a dental X-ray of the affected tooth. This helps determine the extent of the damage and ensures root canal treatment is the appropriate treatment option. Here are the steps to complete during your root canal treatment:
1. Anesthesia- First, local anesthesia is applied to numb the infected tooth and surrounding gums. There are also medications such as nitrous oxide, oral sedatives, or intravenous (IV) sedation that are used in dentistry to help you relax. If you’re struggling with dental anxiety, your healthcare provider may recommend sedation.
2. Dental dam placement- Before starting root canal treatment, a small rubber cover is placed on the area. This isolates the tooth and keeps it dry during the procedure.
3. Access hole- A small hole is then made at the top of the tooth to access the pulp.
4. Pulp removal- small dental instruments are used to remove nerves, blood vessels, and tissue inside the tooth.
5. Shaping channels- After the pulp is removed, the pulp chamber and root canals are cleaned, disinfected and shaped.
6. Filling the channels- The empty canals are then filled with a flexible, rubbery dental material called gutta-percha.
7. Thread sealing- A temporary dental filling is then placed to seal the tooth and prevent bacteria from re-entering.
8. Placement of final restoration- In most cases, you will need a dental veneer to protect the treated tooth and restore your bite. Crowns are bespoke and usually take two to three weeks to manufacture. When your crown is ready, the temporary filling is removed, and the permanent crown is placed. In some cases, you may also receive a tiara during the same appointment.
What are the advantages of having root canal treatment?
There are several benefits to choosing root canal treatment. This treatment can:
• Prevent the infection from spreading to other teeth.
• Relieve symptoms associated with an infected tooth.
• Reduce the risk of jawbone damage.
• Eliminate the need for tooth extraction.
How long do the results of a root canal last?
As with all dental procedures, results are not guaranteed. However, when root canal therapy is performed correctly, results can last a long time even the rest of your life.
What are common failed root canal symptoms?
In some cases, root canal complications may occur. This is especially true if your tooth is too damaged for this type of treatment. Failed root canal symptoms include:
• Swollen gums.
• Pus or drainage.
• Tooth discoloration.
• Pimples or boils on the gums.
• Sinus problems.
When should I see my healthcare professional?
If you notice any root canal symptoms such as toothache, swelling, bad taste, or other warning signs, call your healthcare provider right away. The sooner you treat an infected tooth, the better your chances of saving it.
Routine dental check-ups also play a big role in reducing the risk of infection. During these visits, your healthcare provider can spot problems before they get worse. Prompt treatment can prevent the spread of the infection and relieve your pain so you can return to a normal life.
For Advance Root Canal Therapy near La Porte 77571, Please Contact Dr.Kapil Mangla of Pristine Clinic at 1309 W Fairmont Pkwy Suite C , La Porte, TX 77571 USA in case you are planning to get a root canal done.